Monday, April 18, 2016

Teaching Argument Writing

This book takes research papers from telling a story to conducting action.  It shares many examples of traditional research paper assignments where students would summarize various secondary sources but never apply any actual research of their own.  It focuses on writing about experiments conducted by the writer or observations viewed directly by the writer instead of writing about impersonal concerns irrelevant to the writer.  It describes how to get the writer more invested in the process of their own research to create a more personal opinion.  It explains processes to organize the writers thoughts for a fluid flow.

I enjoy the information from the book but wonder if writing based on secondary research is an easier way to teach argument writing at first.  I believe in proven experiments and observational research being very useful information shared for the purpose of redundancy.  However, I also definitely see value in the class experiment type writing suggested by the book where the activity gets students involved in a very real way about real concerns that affect their lives.  Anytime the project can be carried out in a fun relevant way I believe you will boost interest and a better products.

Overall, I like the book and clearly see the different process it encourages the teacher to teach writers.  I believe it makes the process more manageable and interesting.

3 comments:


  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too, read and enjoyed Fletcher's book. I can understand where you are coming from in terms of initially focusing on teaching the foundational components of argumentative writing instead of integrating empirical research as well. I assumed from the reading the students taught at this level have acquired introductory research skills. I can understand how integrating these various aspects to composing can prove challenging for students, as comprehensive skills may be briefed and not fully developed.

    In turn, I can also visualize the benefits in challenging students to excel further if applicable, integrating both their research and argumentative writing skills for future success in critical thinking and analysis in college writing and other disciplinary areas.
    from Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you can go at it both ways. If you read the Fletcher book, you would see a different approach. It makes sense to have a variety of strategies in your toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I read about many different strategies worth using. I believe different approaches will keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete