Friday, April 22, 2016

Reflection

Thank you for restoring my love for writing.  I spent many years as a technical writer for a career because the graphic design industry (my first love) was too unstable during our economic recession.  I accepted the writing position mostly for stability but also for interest.  Writing technically for so long made me stop writing for pleasure.  Technical writing requires a different type of creativity; a rigid one.  It can feel claustrophobic at times and gets overwhelming when proper subject matter experts are not utilized.  So Much Research!

As a writer getting back into the art, I feel my organizational skills have grown.  After losing myself in organizational chaos, I felt I had completely forgotten how to organize facts, ideas, and thoughts.

The quick writes we did in class helped with fear, the individual demo activities helped with ideas, and the course reading helped with organizational processes.  I feel ready to write real blogs pertaining to real things now.  A long time ago, I enjoyed sharing a feeling or moment in time.  Now, I will focus on both writing to escape or venture to dreamland and writing to take action or support important issues.

Digital writing is fun.  I enjoy sharing ideas, thoughts, feelings, and information.  I will incorporate blogging in my classroom when I feel it is safe for everyone involved.  I will definitely be consulting seasoned teachers for advice on the do's and don'ts to include and avoid.

Overall, I feel more confident and eager to grow the skill within me and inspire others to do so as well.  I can't wait to read what my students share with me.  I feel that language arts teachers get the best insight to the real personalities of kids.  I am so excited!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your reflection. I too, felt my love for writing has been restored; and for the new digital age. I also perceive writing as a place where I can dream and reflect. I have discovered through blogging the innovativeness and excitement of digital writing, which I will persistently strive to fully embrace.

    As I believe in the development of strong mechanical skills for student writing, I also believe the digital age symbolizes where students relevantly and academically need to coexist for coursework, career, and life.

    I agree that blogging has sparked a further interest to explore Digital Writing and to utilize it to its full potential in our careers and personal life. You made an aspiring point when you stated, " I feel that language arts teachers get the best insight to the real personalities of kids." Thank you for reminding us how rewarding teaching English will be...

    Have a wonderful summer!

    ~Josellynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had the space to reconnect to you the writer! That is powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you that language arts teachers often get the most insight into the student mindset. When kids are writing and feel safe they often share with you their personal thoughts and feelings. I love this aspect of teaching.

    ReplyDelete