Monday, February 8, 2016

Fears of Teaching

I am concerned that when I go into the classroom tomorrow to assist Mrs. Rice I will forget all of the teaching strategies I've learned.  Last week, she asked me what I would like to do this week.  She then mentioned small groups which I haven not done before so I picked that route.  I want to experience all that I can before showing up on my first day all alone.
Last week I worked independently with a student who obviously had a small special attribute to his personality, although I am not aware of the specific label.  I found that instead of showing him how to begin a project, I simply started it for him and then told him what to write.  I was focused on catching him up to the rest of the class.  I got him caught up but then felt as though I did not allow him to fully grasp what was going on with the project.
I am sure I will ease into the role as time passes but the fear of the initial starting point gives me slight apprehension.  I cannot wait to see how I do.
When I first begin with new students, all of the strategies, questions, and psychology of their developmental stages seem to overwhelm me.  I hope I can effectively teach these kids tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Reese,
    I am sure you are not alone for your apprehensions with teaching and I am sure that you know that. Personally I am happy to see that you clearly care so much about the development of your students and feel that your passion will bring you very far in your own development. You did what you thought was best for that student at the time being and as long as you grow from experiences like this then you will be more confident in future similar situations. It sounds like you are very prepared for the classroom and now you just have to balance what you know with actually applying what you know in real situations which in time will become second nature to me. I am a pre-service teacher myself and am also nervous but I know that there is going to be a learning curve in the beginning but as long as we do our best and have the best of intentions we will do great! Good luck with teaching Reese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough! It feels quicker to do for students sometimes, because learning make take time and they seem behind! I am glad that you are digging in to learn and practice! The more often you can do that the more confident you will feel! I am always nervous with a new group of students. It never goes away, but you will fill your teacher pack with a range of skills as the years go on. They will carry you through! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tough! It feels quicker to do for students sometimes, because learning make take time and they seem behind! I am glad that you are digging in to learn and practice! The more often you can do that the more confident you will feel! I am always nervous with a new group of students. It never goes away, but you will fill your teacher pack with a range of skills as the years go on. They will carry you through! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your nervousness and your desire to "do all the right things" as you teach shows that you're on the right track! Some teachers may walk into the classroom with the attitude that they know it all, but they aren't thinking about what's best for students. Not only that, but they are often unteachable and unwilling to grow and adapt. I am confident that you will do great as a teacher, and that you will figure out how to apply what you are learning as your encounter students on a day-to-day basis. Be encouraged, don't be afraid to ask for help, and keep doing what you believe is best for the children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like it is a really fine line between scaffolding and do it for them. I feel like after working with groups a few times, I am slowly getting better and better at scaffolding and using probing questions to get students to "get it" on their own. It just takes practice and that is what internship is all about!

    ReplyDelete